Thursday, November 08, 2007

What we have done lately

Even though I haven't posted recently, we've been having fun and learning together quite a bit lately. Here is a list of things that I can remember from the past couple of weeks:
  • Visited the Kansas Cosmosphere
  • Played Scrabble, Chess, Candy Land, Black Box, Checkers, and many computer games
  • Played with the marble maze, trains, puzzles, magnetix, the piano, and each other
  • Read 27 books so far (for our 100 books for Scholastic's Classrooms Care)
  • Listened to and sang with Sing the Word from A to Z (Bible verses) many times
  • Listened to The Curse of the Cheese Pyramid audio book even more times
  • Watched a multitude of Backyardigans and Magic School Bus video episodes (repeatedly)
  • Went to MOPS, YEA!, the local elementary school playground, 2 parks, and our neighbor's house to play
  • Made Amish Friendship (cinnamon) bread
  • Visited Grandpa
  • and talked about rhymes, homonyms, "Is God bigger than the galaxy?", what to have for meals tomorrow, Daddy singing opera, how long a half-hour is, telling time, and which day we should trim fingernails

At YEA! on Tuesday, DS1 partially colored a map in the "Reading without words -- Maps" class. He wanted me to write "colored by I...." on it, but I just wrote "by I....." instead. When we got home, he reminded me what I was supposed to have written, and DS2 told me "You need to write C O L O R" (spelling out the word "color"). I have suspected that he is "really" reading already, not just repeating back memorized sections of books we have read a zillion times, and I know he can spell "stop," "zoo," and "exit," but since those are usually in a context that is familiar, his spelling "color" with no helping visuals or hints just blew me away. I don't think we're going to need a phonics curriculum. :-) As much as that delights me, it makes me nervous, too. I've spent the past year deschooling myself, but I still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment