Thursday, November 01, 2007

Unschooling Voices #10

An Unschooling Life: Unschooling Voices #10 is now up. I didn't make a submission this time. The prompting questions were "What advice would you have given to yourself early in your unschooling journey?" and "Ask your kids to take pictures of their favorite ________ and share them." Since I'm still early in our unschooling journey and our good digital camera is broken (and the other doesn't have a flash), I decided to pass this time.

I've skimmed some of the submissions already, and they look very good. Two "answers" that jumped out at me were "say 'yes'" and "relax." I would add "don't make excuses when people ask questions." I tend to say something similar to "mostly we play, it is just kindergarten after all". That really does a disservice to DS1 and everything that he is learning in his "kindergarten year." I really want to stop saying that. Maybe I can modify it to be "mostly we play, I'm amazed at what they learn when I don't try to control what they do." This line of thought goes along somewhat with next month's subject prompt Unschooling through the ages: How, if at all, does unschooling look different as your child ages and grows. Is it different now than it was a few years back? What role does age play in unschooling? . It's easy to say "it's only kindergarten" to people, but that won't work so much when my boys are 9 and 10. Hopefully I will have more confidence by then. I'll certainly have more experience! Maybe I'll be able to come up with something for the next Unschooling Voices issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment