Friday, November 16, 2007

Music is great for memorization - and fun

I didn't buy the CD to get DSs to memorize Bible verses. Really, I didn't. However, repetitive listening to enjoyable songs results in learning the music and words. A couple of months ago I got tired of "Daycare songs," and "Choo Choo LaRoo" and a couple of other CDs that we've had for years, so I bought Sing the Word from A to Z from Sonlight. It's part of the Core C Bible program. (We sort of use Core B as our reading materials, although we don't follow any sort of planned structure or schedule.)

Today when we got to the end of track 26 on Sing the Word from A to Z cd in the car, I ejected it to go back to track 1 quickly. (Tracks 1-26 are with words, tracks 27-52 are instrumental only.) DS1 said, 'No mommy, I wanted to see if I could guess the songs and sing them.' So I FF'd to 27 and he did! He sang 'All have sinned,' 'Believe in Jesus,' and 'Children Obey Your Parents' before we got home!

Last night, during the first 26 tracks DS2 was even singing along some of the time.

I know they don't understand all of the words, and some of them even get pronounced wrong, just like learning a song from the radio, but it makes me feel good to know that 1) they like singing, 2) they can sing in tune and with the right rhythm, 3) they are learning some Bible verses, and 4) I'm learning some Bible verses also.

No comments:

Post a Comment