Wednesday, July 09, 2008

"Our" first formal multi-session class

At the homeschool convention in May I signed up for information on a rhythm class by a mother and daughter team that teach music lessons. One thing I liked about it was that it was for ages 4 and up (grouped by age). Another thing I liked was that it was only 6 weeks long, either summer or fall.

The teacher followed up with a phone call about a week later, asking which day(s) of the week and time(s) during the day would work best for us, if we were still interested. At that point I was still interested but not committed. Sometime in the last 2 weeks she called again; the message got lost for a few days, so I'm not sure.

Yesterday she called to remind me that the class was that day, in the afternoon. She was planning on us. Oh. I had intended to discuss the class with DH before enrolling but decided to go ahead with it anyway since he was at work. I told the boys about it. Neither wanted to go. They wanted to stay home and watch TV. They watch too much TV.

Reluctantly, they got dressed (earlier than usual), and I packed us a lunch. We went to our old house (we're getting ready for a moving sale) where they played, and I worked for a while. We had a picnic in the car in the rain outside the teacher's house. By this time they were interested in the class but not necessarily enthusiastic. The class was scheduled for 1:15, so we went up to the door at 1:00. (It was my first time there; I wanted to make sure the boys were comfortable; and I wanted to take care of payment.) She had just finished up with a private music student and was not ready for the rhythm class kids yet. (I'll know better next time.)

One of our co-op friends is in the class also. She came up to the door right after us. Those 3 got to play with a box of instruments while waiting for the rest of the kids. All of the other moms left, but I sat on the staircase, out of sight, during the class. I wanted to eavesdrop both on the teacher and on my boys. They loved the class! About half way through, DS1 asked if they could come back again. Yeah!

That evening they excitedly told Daddy about the class. This morning DS1 asked how many days there are until next Tuesday. I'm glad we are doing this. It might lead to more music lessons of some kind, or it might not. Either way, I think it is going to be a good experience of all of us!

3 comments:

  1. If you don't mind, please send me the info about this offblog. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a post of yours on Sonlight's Forum and wanted to check out your blog! I've enjoyed getting to know you and your family! You are welcome to check out mine as well! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it is me again. I just read some of your other blogs and I have found that you and I have a lot in common. I was an infertility patient for 10 years (after 14 babies lost). We did 3 IUIs, 2 FETs and 3 IVFs until I was able to sucessfully carry my twin boys to premie birth. YEAH!! So when I read your IVF schedule ohhh I just got so tickled. My twins were born in 2001 (June) then the Lord blessed us with a surprise (non-IF) baby boy exactly 2 years almost to the date! So, I just thought it was pretty funny that we traveled some of the same roads and now we are Sonlight homeschoolers. Anyway, hope to be in touch!

    ReplyDelete