Saturday, December 22, 2007

Chess

The boys played a game of chess against each other today. Originally DS1 and I were going to play, and DS2 was going to help me, but really they were playing and I just helped DS2 if he tried to move a piece illegally.

Some interesting observances:
DS1 wanted to put his white queen on the right, instead of on the left (on the white square). I don't know why.
DS2 called the knight a "jumping horse."
DS2 called the rook a "castle tower."
They correctly use the term "capture."
They know that a pawn captures diagonally but moves only straight forward 1 square and that it can move 2 squares only on its first move.

The game ended in a draw because a new Wonder Pets Christmas episode on TV became more interesting than the game. We moved it with the intent of continuing later, but a game of "rolly catch" knocked over too many of the pieces, so I put them away.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm . . . perhaps we need to set up a chessboard or two at the upcoming board game party. Tom loves chess, and I just found out this week that Pauly is a budding chess master. Me, I kinda suck at the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a giggle out of your post--primarily because my own children are temporarily BANNED from chess due to how competitive their matches had become. I'll allow them to get the board out again soon ... but hopefully they'll have learned that losing a bishop isn't the worst thing that can happen to you in this world! :-)

    ReplyDelete