Thursday, August 05, 2010

Caterpillars

We have some swallowtail caterpillars! I got several a few days ago and thought I starved them, but 2 started moving when I put dill in their container. Add today's 2 or 3 and we might end up with quite a flock of butterflies in 3-4 weeks.

The boys seem quite interested. We have talked about their food, the life cycle stages, and different types of butterflies already. We googled to find some pictures and information about how to keep them. (Plastic baggies won't be sufficient for very long.)

2 comments:

  1. They're all dead. I tried, really I did! I bought dill, got a box with sticks, added fresh dill when it was eaten or wilted, but they look dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad. Our tadpole-raising experience this summer involved some very sad tadpole deaths. Makes me wonder how we manage to keep something as complicated as a cat alive!

    ReplyDelete