Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Math Fun

The past week has included several fun unschoolish math experiences. DS1 found DH's abacus in the basement while helping me put up some shelves. I've never used an abacus, so DH taught DS1 how to use it. He got single digit addition and subtraction very quickly, but the place value of "tens" tripped him up. Since I remembered that our next lesson in Math-U-See was on place value, I told DS1 about it and asked if he'd like to learn something that would help make using the abacus easier. He was interested, so yesterday we got our Math-U-See stuff out and talked about place value of tens (Lesson 9).

A couple of weeks ago we went to a Board Game Club meeting at a fellow homeschooler's house. One of the games they played was Sorry! I had Sorry! as a kid, so we went to my dad's house to try to find it. It wasn't in any of the places I expected, so I suspected that I had already claimed it. DH found it in the basement yesterday while I was gone, and they all played. The boys and I played some more this morning. It is a game of mostly the luck of the draw, but there is some strategy for choosing which piece to move and selecting which way to use the card (some have options, like 7 can be split between 2 pieces, and 1 and 2 can be used to start a new piece or move a piece). We also played with "Imaginary Daddy" to have 4 players, so we took turns drawing, choosing, and moving Imaginary Daddy's pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment