Monday, May 29, 2006

Memories about school

Some random memories about my school years
  • having the lead female speaking part in the K play (Mrs. Claus), presumably because I could memorize the lines
  • "teaching" the 2nd graders how to make a 6 pointed snowflake (when in 3rd grade) instead of a 4 pointed snowflake, even though I did not want to stand up in front of the class and talk
  • being told that I made things too hard

    a science experiment, hot water, cold water, and food coloring; being asked what we learned; not knowing what to answer; the teacher being surprised I couldn't figure it out; being told "heat rises"; I already knew that and was trying to come up with something that I learned from it and couldn't come up with anything
  • driver's license eye exam (not really in school)... answering the question that was asked and being thought a smart mouth
    being asked, "can you read the third line"; answering, "yes;" silence from the examiner; "well, read it to me then;" I was so excited about getting my driver's license and was concentrating so much that I just answered the question asked
  • college computer class... answering the question that was asked and being thought a smart mouth
    being asked, "why did you do a, b, and c"; answering, "because you told us to;" being told by the GTA (whom I'd known for several years), "if that came from anyone but you I'd flunk you on this assignment; I had a killer headache and felt awful, I had no idea why we were doing anything in the assignment except that the end result was to get the lights to light up; I wasn't trying to be a smart mouth, I was just being honest

I'm not sure why these things came to mind tonight. The K memory is fairly neutral, but I suspect that I was happy or proud to have a speaking part. The others are situations or reactions that I hope my boys do not have to encounter.

DH and I were talking about the boys' memories earlier this evening. Maybe that's why I had some disjointed memories come to the surface. Earlier today DS1 told me out of the blue, "Austin's daddy told us about rocks yesterday. Yesterday a long time ago. It was March." Those statements are accurate. My son understands that yesterday means the past. The thing he was telling me about happened in the past, not "yesterday" as in the standard one-day-ago definition, but in the past 2 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment