Friday, November 11, 2005

Freedom In Education Newsletter

The November Newsletter of Freedom In Education has an interesting article about logic and education standards. It if the the UK, but still very relevant to those of us in the US. The more I read things like this, the more I want to unschool instead of "doing school at home".

In all of the searches I have found about homeschooling and education, I can't remember finding articles about why the structured school day is better. I do find historical reasons for why we have it, but nothing to support why it is a better way. I find things about learning styles and creativity and freedom that support less structure, but I don't find articles that support more structure. I can find structured curriculum, and I can even find people who like the curricula, but that's where it ends. Is it because I'm looking for support for my desired direction, or is it because support for structure is lacking?

No comments:

Post a Comment